Monday, November 5, 2012

In-Depth Study of the Gospel: Introduction

This year, I decided to go through the Gospel of the bible in a very detailed format.  I wanted to make sure that I clearly understood the meaning of every scripture and why it is in there.

A friend suggested that I start a blog to document everything.  I find this kind of hard because it sometimes it will be hard to write everything down and sometimes I won't want to rewrite

I believe the bible is God's divine truth.  I believe the Gospel is the most important part of the bible.  Because of my belief in that, I should not find any inconsistencies.  Unfortunately, when I do read the gospel there are inconsistencies.  Did Jesus just walk up to the "pre-apostles" at their boat to talk to them, or did he collect them one by one?  Did Jesus take the wine from the sponge while being crucified or not?  How come Jesus' lineage is so different the two times it is mentioned in the Gospel?

Normally people with questions are looked down upon for "Questioning the Bible".  If a person asks these questions, then their faith is not where it should be and they need to "trust" God.

Maybe God created me differently, but I feel sticking my fingers in my ears and closing my eyes is not trust...it is just stupid.  I would say that a fair amount of people will never understand the true meanings in the bible and all because they don't want to question anything in it.

I believe the Bible is divinely inspired and I believe that any questions that I have will be answered.  I don't have any doubt that God will answer my questions and I hope that the things that I learn will bring more inspiration to my own faith as well as others.

Some people might read that and see me as a man of doubt.  I would like to change that way of thinking.  I am a man that has so much faith that all inconsistencies will be explained.  I would also challenge others to ask hard questions about the bible.  If your faith is strong, it should not be tangled.

So needless to say, I am going verse by verse ensuring that I understand the meaning behind everything that is being taught.

Throughout this blog, you may find me noting several Non-Biblical texts.  Although your first reaction may be "How can I trust it if it is not in the bible?".  My response will be, "The bible didn't exist until after the Gospel happened.  While the Gospel was happening, there were other texts in which the people lived by.  In order to understand the circumstance in which Jesus lived and fought, we need to understand the culture and the reason why he said the things he did.".

I will be referencing several hebrew writings.  It should be heeded as good information as it is the climax of Jesus' ministry and the precursor to the good news in which we refer to as Salvation.

First stop:  Matthew 1:1...The Geneology.



No comments:

Post a Comment